Wednesday, September 20, 2006
The Mr. Dons Encounter
"Oma-cine..." Miss Bombshell sang. "We need that file as soon as possible."

"I'm moving as fast as I can."

"Well, fast isn't going to cut it. We have lots of people waiting." Miss Bombshell turned and flung her luxurious locks, highlights glistening and blinding.

I sighed as I searched through all possible file options. Hey, sometimes M could be mistaken for N, right? But lately it seemed as if more and more files were coming up missing.

Someone cleared their throat, but I refused to look up; I couldn't bear it if Miss Bombshell had to come again and ask for the file.

"Omacine?"

I waved them off.

"Omacine!"

I stood erect when that sweet familiar voice hit my eardrum. He approached me. I took a step back and fidgeted with my crocked top.

"Omacine..."

I tried to breathe.

He approached again, and as I tried to step back, I was stopped by the file cabinets. He reached for my nappy hair and I jumped.

"Wait... Here." He placed a big ball of white lint in my hair.

"Oh!" I said nervously as I toyed with the white ball. "These file cabinets are so old and dusty."

"Wait a minute." He touched my right cheek. "Looks like baby powder, maybe?"

Silly, fat me.

"No, actually that's powder from this morning's donut." Now I was even more nervous. Fat and nervous.

"Yeah, Bunny said there were donuts up-front..."

Bunny Philips was Miss Bombshell's real name.

"I was just heading there to get one. Do you want another?"

"Oh, my! Of course not." I wiped my face.

How could someone as fat as me need another donut?

"You sure?" he asked.

"Positive."

"Okay, I'll see you later."

"Yeah...later..." I waved as he walked off.

"Omacine! The file!" Miss Bombshell yelled from her front desk.

"Crap!"

"Crap?" Lina asked.

"Oops, did I say that out loud?"

"Yeah. What is it you're looking for?"

"Mr. Mend's file."

"Hmmm... I think I have that in my stack. Let me check." Lina walked over to her files and rummaged through. "Yup, here it is." I went to put out my hand to receive the file. "I'll just bring this to Bunny."

"Ummm... I guess."

"Cool."

I secretly followed Lina to Bombshell's desk and peeked around the corner.

"Bunny, is this the file you're looking for?"

Bombshell looked disgusted. "Ugh! Yes! That Omacine! I can't believe she put me in a fix like this. If she can't hold her weight, and I mean that literally, too, then she needs to find a more suitable position."

I waited for Lina to defend me, but no words followed.

"Thanks Lina, you're a lifesaver."

"Anytime," Lina responded.

Bombshell flung her silky hair as she turned towards the waiting area. "Okay, Mr. Mends, we're ready for you now."

"You people need to get it together," Mr. Mends grunted.

"There are just some people on our staff who don't know how to pull their weight."

My heart sank. And just as I'd sunk as low as my ship could go, I noticed Keith Dons eyeing me from the assortment of donuts towards the other end of Bombshell's desk. When our eyes met, he shook his head and I ran for cover.
 
posted by MissNikkiAnn at 5:28 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: