Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Monthly Meeting

"Gang, I wanted to touch base with you all to let you know how smooth the office is running. Probably to your chagrin, I have no trouble spots to go over today." Bill laughed at his own quip. "Let's get right to your concerns and then move on to the good news I have for you. Who's first?"

Not a single hand went up, which was quite unusual for our fussy bunch. Eyes searched the room and everyone looked relieved until Miss Bombshell's hand shot up like fireworks.

"Actually, I have one itty-bitty concern," she said.

"Go ahead." Bill massaged his chin.

"And I don't mean to point fingers, but I'd hate not to--"

"Okay?" Bill seemed to be losing his patience.

"Omacine's been losing lots of files lately, and it's slowing us up and making the front desk look as if we're not doing our job. And as the newly appointed Front Desk Manager--"

"Are we saying losing or misplacing, Ms. Philips?"

"What's the difference?"

"There is a difference." He pointed to my partner, Lina. "And Ms. Diaz is not having the same problem? They work hand in hand."

"Funny you mention that." Bombshell let out an awkward laugh. "Lina's been the one recovering Omacine's misplaced files. If it weren't for Lina we'd really be in a bind."

Bill looked at me but I couldn't read his stare.

"Omacine?" With that loaded one worded question, the entire room eyed me, hoping I'd make it quick--I guess.

"Mr. Maddox, I'm working on it?" It fumbled out of my mouth as more of a question than an answer. I mean, misplacing my files was a new habit and a mystery to me as well.

"Good enough," he said. "I trust Ms. Buckeye has everything under control, being she's never given me any reason to doubt that."

Miss Bombshell looked disgusted by his brush off, but she didn't utter any sound or movement.

Mr. Maddox continued, "I know I'm always trying to build a better and stronger office, pushing you all to be and do your best. I wanted to thank all of you for your dedication by treating you to dinner at Show Me."

Our faces lit up--even Miss Bomshell's--as people gasped for air. Show Mewas a mellow and hip Neo-Soul restaurant where the best local and regional talent performed. Owned by a famous R&B producing team, people from all colors and walks of life wanted to eat at this place for its talent and famous faces. Unless you wanted to sit at the bar, reservations had to be booked months in advance. Floor seating was the best, as it kept the dinners up-close and personal with the musicians. And the food? Well, it totally completed the mellow atmosphere and amazing talent that graced the stage. But for me all of this was just hearsay from my cousin, Madeline, as I'd never actually stepped foot inside the place.

"But Mr. Maddox, no one can get reservations there! How'd you do it?" asked an eager staff member.

Maddox pointed at the deep dimple at the side of his right cheek. "Who could resist this smile?" Everyone laughed of course, not wanting to ruin their chances at this offer. "No, seriously, the truth is we have our very own Keith Dons to thank for that inside track."

Everyone turned and cheered Keith on; I sat in awe of him.

Keith threw his hands up like a modest rock star. "Guys and gals, please...it was nothing."

"It was nothing, alright," Bombshell spoke in a low voice to Lina, "I hear he's a big deal at Show Me."

Lina's eyes bugged out. "Whoa!"

"So..." Bill rubbed his hands together. "We'll be dining to the magnificent voice of our very own, Keith Dons."

The room broke into a roar of cheers and it appeared that this outbreak caused Keith genuine embarrassment. I doubted that many of us in the room had known that Keith was a singer--I hadn't. Actually, I didn't know much about Keith aside from the awkward mini conversations we had everyday.
 
posted by MissNikkiAnn at 4:52 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: